The Cleaning Closet

organizing the cleaning closet

Ever feel like you've got one of those areas in our house that need cleaning and organizing? You know it needs your attention, but you just keep putting it off until "tomorrow". But here's the thing, "tomorrow" never comes! Before you know it weeks have past and you still keep avoiding the problem spot. Maybe I'm the only one who does this, maybe not. My problem spot is the cleaning closet. I've got 2 closets in the main part of my house (outside of the bedroom closets). One looks at you when you enter the house and the other is in the dining room. This is the one I've affectionally named the cleaning closet. This is the main closet in the house were I store all my cleaning supplies, paper towels, toilet paper, vacuum cleaner, swimming supplies, small tools - basically everything that helps run this household! Once upon a time everything was nice and neat all contained in baskets. But, for the past few months it has looked like this ~

cleaning closet before

Yep! Everything just shoved every which way to make it work. 

products everywhere

First Aid box with a lid that won't close, cleaning supplies and boxes all pilled up. You can see now why it was driving me nuts every time I opened the door or even thought about the mess behind that closed door! So last week I said enough! No more embarrassment, I need to be proud of that closet once more. So I took everything out of the closet and laid it out on the kitchen table. 

take everything out

That's a lot of stuff! I'm sorting through everything and getting rid of what I don't need/want. Then I painted the closet a bright white. The wood shelfs took 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint and took about 1 hour for each coat, but I did it and it looks so much better now!

blank slate


You can see the finished organizing closet right here!

I have something else that I'm going to paint onto those walls in a bright fun color. I still have to do that and finish sorting through all the baskets of stuff. But this is progress and also where I am today. Once I'm done with it, it's going to be a pretty and highly functional, organized space! Stay tuned! 


Here are some more organizing posts -


Now you've seen my embarrassing closet, what about yours? Do you have a closet or cabinet that you need to tackle? 

No comments