Storing Outgrown Baby Clothes


Last night I got around to sorting through all the baby clothes to find a good, permanent storage solution that will work for the long haul. One of the things that I love to do is to organize! And doing this project was no different. I know, I'm one of a kind strange. If you remember, here's how things were looking a few days ago - 




I am ashamed to even admit that that was how bad things had become. It looks like I'd just gave up and started putting clothes any which way (which is just about what had happened). What I needed was a simple but effective way to keep the clothes under control. So finally after a couple of hours, I'm pleased to say that it doesn't look like that anymore! Hallelujah!!! Here is what my final product turned out to be - 



Much better, don't you think? Here's how things happened. First, I laid out all the clothes sorting them into piles according to size so that I could see exactly what quantities I had of each size.



I categorized them like so - 
  • Newborn, blankets, and swaddles
  • 0-3 Months
  • 3-6 Months
  • 6-9 Months (still in these, not pictured)
  • 9-12 Months (still in these, not pictured)
  • 18 Months
  • 24 Months and 2T
  • 3T
  • 4T
  • Shoes in sizes 4 - 8
Then I went through and took out things that I didn't like, had stains, or I didn't want my baby (or any future babies) to wear. I wanted to keep most of the clothes so there were only a few things in the giveaway pile.



 Next, I started putting them into boxes to be stored. First I put the newborn stack in a box and put a piece of paper with the description on it to act as a divider. (I wanted something that wasn't going to get lost in all the clothes once I started pulling things out, so making these signs in Word using word art worked for me.) Then I continued to fill the boxes with clothes using my method until everything was put away. 



Oh, and here's a little tip - if you have things like blankets or such to store, try rolling them so they don't take up quite as much space.




In the end, I was left with 4 boxes to store - 
  • Newborn, blankets, swaddles, and 0-3 month clothes
  • 3-6 month and 6-12 month clothes (She's in 6-12 month right now, so this box was mostly empty. Saving room for when she outgrows things!)
  • 18 months and shoes in sizes 4 - 5
  • 24 months/2T - 4T (only have a few in these sizes so it works for now) and shoes in sizes 6 - 8
Lastly, I made some labels for the front of each box detailing what the contents were thus making them ready to be stored away until needed. As for current clothes, I plan on keeping a bag in her closet that I can toss clothes into once she's outgrown them. When the bag gets full, or when she's outgrown the size, I can just put them into the correct box (I left the 3-6/6-12 month box mostly empty for this exact purpose). When it comes time to get out the 18 month clothes than all I have to do is to pull out one box with everything in it. 

Here again is the completed storage solution - 



All in all, it was a pretty easy project but one I'm glad to finally mark off my list! 

                                                       / / See More Organizing Projects / /

**Update! Download some pretty clothes labels just for you! **

No comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...