Last night I got around to sorting through all the baby clothes to find a good, permanent storage solution that will work for the long haul. One of the things that I love to do is to organize! And doing this project was no different. I know, I'm
I am ashamed to even admit that that was how bad things had become. It looks like I'd just gave up and started putting clothes any which way (which is just about what had happened). What I needed was a simple but effective way to keep the clothes under control. So finally after a couple of hours, I'm pleased to say that it doesn't look like that anymore! Hallelujah!!! Here is what my final product turned out to be -
Much better, don't you think? Here's how things happened. First, I laid out all the clothes sorting them into piles according to size so that I could see exactly what quantities I had of each size.
I categorized them like so -
- Newborn, blankets, and swaddles
- 0-3 Months
- 3-6 Months
- 6-9 Months (still in these, not pictured)
- 9-12 Months (still in these, not pictured)
- 18 Months
- 24 Months and 2T
- Shoes in sizes 4 - 8
Next, I started putting them into boxes to be stored. First I put the newborn stack in a box and put a piece of paper with the description on it to act as a divider. (I wanted something that wasn't going to get lost in all the clothes once I started pulling things out, so making these signs in Word using word art worked for me.) Then I continued to fill the boxes with clothes using my method until everything was put away.
Oh, and here's a little tip - if you have things like blankets or such to store, try rolling them so they don't take up quite as much space.
In the end, I was left with 4 boxes to store -
- Newborn, blankets, swaddles, and 0-3 month clothes
- 3-6 month and 6-12 month clothes (She's in 6-12 month right now, so this box was mostly empty. Saving room for when she outgrows things!)
- 18 months and shoes in sizes 4 - 5
- 24 months/2T - 4T (only have a few in these sizes so it works for now) and shoes in sizes 6 - 8
Here again is the completed storage solution -