A Welcoming Window Seat


kitchen table and chairs

A couple of months ago when I shared the new table that we got, there was a small glimpse of the kitchen window seat. You can't see it too terribly well, but there was nothing on the window seat except for a plant in an ugly basket. Inviting, no?

Since then, I made the window seat much more inviting by simply adding pillows and changing out the basket that the plant is in. Now when you look at the window seat, you see this. 

pretty window seat

I found the basket at Goodwill for .99 cents and sewed the pillows by making simple pillow covers than stuffing the covers with pillows I already had. 

pillow covers


I picked up the fabric some time ago at Joann Fabrics when they were selling in-store sample pieces. Each piece was a perfect square, just the right size for a pillow. The ikat fabric is one of my all-time favorite fabrics. I was waiting for just the right spot to use it in. I like the yellow geometric one since it's bright and reminds me of spring.

handmade pillow covers

I didn't have enough fabric for the backs of the covers, so I used some white fabric that I had in my fabric stash. I kinda like it this way since you see the pillow backs from the front of the house. This way, it's not so busy and distracting when walking up to the front door.

welcoming window seat

Y'all, that plant is alive and still going strong after 1.5 years of living with me! I have such a black thumb and kill basically everything, except this hardy little guy. I've learned that he doesn't like too much water and will start to loose his leaves if he's unhappy. He seems to like the indirect bright light that he receives each day so I am not moving him! I heard somewhere that once plants get accustomed to a certain spot, they don't like to move - but don't quote me on that! I just know when my one live plant is happy or not, it may take a couple of days for me to notice, but I eventually get the message.

thriving plant

See what a difference that tossing a couple of handmade pillows and a .99 cent basket on this window seat made in the welcome factor of my kitchen. What can you do to yours to do the same? Maybe you don't have a kitchen window seat, but there is something you can do today to make a bright spot in the mist of everyday life.

I made a few other changes to the kitchen that I'll be sharing soon, springtime has motivated me to make a few changes in this house!

No comments